[ANN] Cayenne 1.0 FINAL

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Sat Sep 20 2003 - 18:38:01 EDT

    Hi everybody.

    I am glad to announce Cayenne 1.0 final release. Yes, we did it!!!
    Thanks to everybody involved in this lengthy and sometimes painful
    process. This includes current and former Cayenne committers, early
    adopters, current users, and graphic designers.

    I will be posting announcements in a few other places. Below is a
    suggested text of such announcement. Comments and corrections are
    welcomed.

    Thanks.
    Andrus

    P.S. I am ready to have a beer to celebrate the occasion. Unfortunately
    since most of the parties involved live in different cities and on
    different continents, we can only have a virtual launch party. Cheers
    anyway :-)

    ---------------------------------------

    http://objectstyle.org/cayenne/

    Cayenne 1.0 final release is available now.

    Cayenne is a comprehensive Object Relational Mapping tool. It is
    written in Java and contains a runtime framework and CayenneModeler GUI
    application. Cayenne 1.0 is the production quality release that
    features the following:

    Environment:

       - Works on all Java-compatible development and deployment platforms:
    Mac OS X, Linux, Solaris, Windows.
       - Can be deployed with JDK 1.3 and higher. Development environment
    supports JDK 1.4 and higher.
       - Easy to deploy in various Java environments. Special support for
    deployment with web applications.
       - Integrates with Apple's EOF - allows importing EOModels; used as a
    class generation engine in WOProject.
       - Supports all JDBC-compatible databases. Special adapters for
    Oracle, Sybase, DB2, MySQL, PostgreSQL, FireBird, HSQLDB. Generic
    adapter for others.

    Productivity:

       - Contains platform-independent GUI tool for Object-Relational
    Mapping.
       - Imports/Exports database schema.
       - Generates Java classes (both from UI and Ant tasks)

    Design Features:

       - Mapping of object properties as attributes and relationships
    (including many-to-many).
       - Object caching and lazy retrieval of relationships; prefetching.
       - Supports BLOB and CLOB columns; supports stored procedures.
       - User sessions keep their own isolated view of data changes.
       - Mappings and queries are database independent; porting to a
    different database is as easy as switching the adapter.
       - Supports multiple databases in one application, creating a single
    "virtual" data source.
       - Built-in connection pooling; supports DataSources provided via JNDI.