Shared Snapshot Cache [Was: EventSubject implementation]

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Sat Sep 20 2003 - 21:58:18 EDT

    On Friday, June 27, 2003, at 05:03 PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

    > I am playing around with a JMS based cache synchronization prototype (I
    > have a preliminary UML design in my sandbox in CVS, readable using the
    > UML
    > tool from http://www.sparxsystems.com.au/). The idea is to use the same
    > subject for events within the JVM and for JMS topics propagating these
    > events to other VMs. Simple "EventSubject.getSubjectName()" should fix
    > the
    > problem. Any objections to adding this method? (Of course I can find
    > ways
    > around, but they are much uglier).

    Back to our earlier discussion on cache and cache synchronization. I am
    starting by implementing a single VM cache (see the UML diagram
    mentioned in the quoted message). So the first thing we need is a
    robust generic cache implementation. I would really hate to write a
    clean room version of cache algorithms. So I am in search of existing
    implementations. Anybody can recommend/donate one?

    Here is the ones that I discovered on my own. [Disclaimer: I haven't
    tried writing code with any of them, so all my impressions are from the
    project's documentation]

    1. JCS from Jakarta-Turbine

         Impression: Looks a bit too heavy. Claims some closeness (I guess
    only at very high level, not the API) to Sun JCache JSR.

    2. JCache from SourceForge

         Impression: Still in Alpha and documentation is non-existent. A few
    warning signs is the name matching that of Sun's JSR and a claim on the
    front page that ".. your database performance [will] go through the
    roof". Of course the fact that it is a standard API implementation
    makes it attractive. It will be (supposedly) easy to replace if we find
    it unsatisfactory. Anyway I guess it is too early to make a judgment
    about this particular product.

    3. ShiftOne JOCache

        Impression: I like this one. It has a simple cache API with various
    pluggable cache algorithms. Again - very little documentation. I sent
    an email to the author asking a few questions. One being the
    possibility to release their code under BSD/Apache license to avoid
    license mess in Cayenne. Another one - is there a real life high volume
    system that uses this package. Hate to debug threading issues on my own
    :-) Waiting for the answer...

    Andrus