Re: Cayenne Data View on client?

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Sun Oct 19 2003 - 15:15:40 EDT

    On Sunday, October 19, 2003, at 01:15 PM, Tore Halset wrote
    > Hello.
    >
    > I have only read the pdf, but Cayenne Data View looks very nice. Would
    > it be possible to run the data view on a client and comunicate with
    > the rest of cayenne via axis or anything? Would it be a smart thing to
    > do? Where should we/I start?
    >
    > - Tore.

    Hi Tore,

    Data View architecture deals with the issues of straightforward UI
    building from the data layer, and is not about making Cayenne
    "distributed". It is for 2-tier client-server apps. So you'd still have
    to keep the whole Cayenne stack on your client.

    Now your idea of UI clients communicating with Cayenne "server" (ala
    EOF JavaClient) will require some work in a different area, namely
    creating some sort of distributed DataContext. I've toyed with this
    idea in the past, and it should be possible to do with a some extra
    effort.

    I like this approach theoretically. It should be much more lightweight
    then any kind of EJB, and ...well...distributed. Now I would still want
    to see a deeper study of cases when this might be beneficial for the
    application compared to having the whole stack on the client. Anything
    else other than applets? I know that many people in WO/EOF world use
    such 3-tier/rich client approach, so if anyone could comment/elaborate
    on the benefits, I'd love to hear this myself. What are the most
    appropriate uses for this?

    Andrus