Re: Cayenne Data View on client?

From: Tore Halset (halse..vv.ntnu.no)
Date: Mon Oct 20 2003 - 15:15:46 EDT

    On søndag, okt 19, 2003, at 21:15 Europe/Oslo, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

    > What are the most appropriate uses for this?

    Hello.

    We have a java web start application with a rich user interface. It
    comunicates with a serverside application. Some logic runs on the
    server and some on the client.

    We need to add some functionality to the client. The easy way to add
    the functionality would be to create a web-based interface, since the
    new functionality does not require a very rich user interface. But we
    have decided that the new functionality should be integrated in the web
    start application.

    I think WO Java Client would be perfect for this case, but the
    application are currently not using WO and I like the Open Source
    nature of Cayenne. It is possible to fix bugs in cayenne! :)

    Some ideas stolen from WO Java Client:
      * Not every property in the model should be accessible from the client.
      * It should be possible to generate serverside and clientside classes
    from the Modeler.
      * We need a separate layer for authentication/authorization and
    session-management. Probably inside a layer that knows about http.
    Perhaps axis?
      * It would be very nice to be able to do a two level commit. One
    commit from the client to the server, and a second commit from the
    server to the database.

    I know this will be lot of work and that I am not competent to do it.

      - Tore.