Re: CAY-82 Ant DbGenerator

From: Kevin Menard (nirvdru..egativetwenty.net)
Date: Fri Jan 21 2005 - 14:06:45 EST

    On Jan 21, 2005, at 1:30 PM, Mike Kienenberger wrote:

    > Maybe I'm misunderstanding as well, but I thought he was asking about
    > ant
    > task support for starting/stopping HSQLDBs (and possibly other
    > maintenance
    > commands, like add/create database).

    Indeed. Since I don't run a standalone HSQLDB server, I need to tell
    something to create the database. My solution was to start up an
    embedded instance (in this case, embedded in that ant task). The
    embedded instance comes up, is accessed with a JDBC URL, the create db
    & table queries are issued, and then the instance is shutdown. While
    true, the HSQLDB files can just be copied (and that's actually what I
    do after the server shuts down), the server management is key. I
    wouldn't want to start up an external process and not shut it down
    before grabbing the files, since therein lies danger -- actually I
    think it's not even possible on some systems due to file locks.

    --
    Kevin