Re: Running cayenne tests

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Sat Feb 12 2005 - 00:09:29 EST

    On Feb 11, 2005, at 9:12 PM, Mike Kienenberger wrote:

    > Andrus Adamchik <andru..bjectstyle.org> wrote:
    >> Out of all databases that we support, HSQLDB is probably the easiest
    >> one
    >> to get running and maintain. Download it, unpack, and run the startup
    >> script. From there just update your ~/.cayenne/connection.properties
    >> with
    >> this data:
    >
    > The startup script doesn't exist :)

    Sorry. Here is the one I use on Mac OS X:

    #!/bin/sh
    HSQLDB_HOME=~/opt/hsqldb
    HSQLDB_JAR=${HSQLDB_HOME}/lib/hsqldb.jar
    cd ${HSQLDB_HOME}/data && java -cp ${HSQLDB_JAR} org.hsqldb.Server &

    > Eventually, I figured out I could simply stick
    > test-hsqldb.jdbc.url = jdbc:hsqldb:mem:aname
    > in my connections file, and include hsqldb.jar in the classpath.

    So you are running with embedded DB instead of client-server setup.
    That's what I like about HSQL - you can do nice things like that. I
    guess the fact that this is not a "standard" procedure is that HSQL got
    on my radar after I figured all the hard ways to do the tests...

    Here is a random idea - we should kill our current "developer guide"
    and move it to Confluence (of course after we complete its testing and
    I add backups) - all such nice little tricks have to be easily
    documentable.

    > Also, are the regression tests supposed to work? Mine all fail with a
    > similar error to below using jdbc:hsqldb:mem:aname: as well as with
    > OpenBase.

    No, IIRC I could only make them work on Oracle and we haven't looked at
    them in a while... They were supposed to be used specifically for
    regression testing of entity sorting. As we are not making changes to
    this code, I neglected the tests.

    Andrus