Re: Master index for User/Developer/Modeler guide (and maybe wiki)

From: Mike Kienenberger (mkienen..laska.net)
Date: Tue Feb 15 2005 - 11:48:16 EST

    Andrus Adamchik <andru..bjectstyle.org> wrote:
    > I don't know anything about building a book-style index, but we already
    > have a mechanism to generate PDF documentation that is easily searchable
    > by Acrobat or Apple Preview.app ... Just need to work on the looks (I know
    > Anton, the author of PDF integration, is already looking at some of the
    > style issues).

    Unless Modeler and User Guide documentation is stuck into one document, it
    won't help enough.

    A sequential search through a pdf isn't as easy as a real index on the web
    site. [Actually, I just tried out Acrobat Reader 6 and it does provide a
    list of results now -- improvement].

    > On a side note I was thinking of writing a Lucene (and maybe
    > Cayenne)-based web application to do a trageted search of our site that
    > would allow to select a search category (mailing lists, user guide,
    > modeler guide, issue tracker, wiki)... Should be a simple 1-2 page
    > Tapestry or even JSP app with a backend indexing. Just like with other
    > things it has been postponed indefinitely for a number of years now :-)

    Yeah, that'd be nice to, and would maybe be enough.
    I need to write a JSF and/or Tapestry app. Maybe I'll give this one a try.

    I'm still thinking a master index of some sort of the formal documentation
    is best, and I'll keep looking into it.

    -Mike