RE: JDK 1.5

From: Cris Daniluk (cris.danilu..laraview.com)
Date: Sat Mar 05 2005 - 17:08:44 EST

    > I don't see it as part of the generator. The generator
    > takes a model file
    > and creates java source from a template. If the end user
    > doesn't like the
    > default templates used to generate that source, they can
    > easily change them.
    > The default templates cayenne supplies should also work with 1.5.

    I disagree with your argument. The generator takes all sorts of parameters
    that it uses to generate those templates. This would not be unprecedented -
    in fact it would fit in.. Template customization is really for users who
    need to tailor the resultant superclasses to go beyond what Cayenne
    provides. Having a generator spit out classes that work with your JDK, on
    the other hand, seems like something that Cayenne should provide

    > However, I think it'd be great if we also provided (either
    > via the Wiki or as an alternate template set in cvs) files
    > that can take advantage of 1.5.
    >
    > However, choosing those files should be done by supplying a different
    > template file rather than specifying a generator property.
    > The generator
    > itself doesn't care what the final files look like. (Or to
    > put it another
    > way, the API for specifying an alternate template should
    > remain specifying another template rather than adding a
    > special "create java 1.5 templates"
    > property which would end up being implemented by specifying
    > an alternate template underneath anyway.)

    This may be the cause of our disagreement. There's no reason to have 2
    templates - they would be identical in every way but 2 List references. This
    seems like a real maintenance burden (though I submit the templates seem to
    have changed little over the last several months). Seems silly to require an
    additional template for something that really is a function of the language.

    To clarify, a consolidated template is attached. The jdk15 boolean param
    would drive whether or not generics were used.

    Cris