Re: distributed objects

From: Mirko Tschaeni (usene..onia.ch)
Date: Mon Mar 14 2005 - 12:37:49 EST

    Andrus Adamchik wrote:

    >Actually we are talking about distributed DataContexts. So DataObjects are
    >not "remoted" in any traditional sense.

    great!

    >One of the upcoming 1.2 features is nested DataContexts in the same VM. So
    >a "child" DataContext can commit to a "parent" without committing all the
    >way to DB. This is ideal for things like dialogs and multistep web
    >screens.
    >
    >"Distributed" DataContext will likely be implemented as an extension of
    >"nested" DataContexts feature with remote parent. Communication between
    >parent and child will be abstracted into a separate layer and will be
    >pluggable (I am looking at Hessian for one possible default
    >implementation).

    perfect! hessian would have benn my favorite!

    >We'll have more discussions on that as we start the actual work.
    >
    >Andrus

    i have a lot of experience with eodistribution ( positive and negative :-)
    i think one very important concept is the existance of an 'application
    server' i mean one could easily just tunnel jdbc trough
    ssh to implement remote clients otherwise...
    one very nice feature ( in eodistribution ) is the possibility to have
    code executed on the server...
    sometimes it just makes sence to execute on the server, i implemented a
    framework that allows observed execution of long running
    operations on the server for example.
    one other important thing is synchronisation ( notifications ) this is
    one thing in eodistribution that often fails...

    has work allredy started in some place?