Re: comons-logging (was Re: Updating dependent libs)

From: Holger Hoffstätte (holge..izards.de)
Date: Fri May 13 2005 - 11:05:38 EDT

    Andrus Adamchik wrote:
    > I think we are on the same page, but just to make sure .... what I was
    > saying that I am against using Jakarta commons-logging, and in favor of
    > having our own similar public API...

    Uh..good that you explain it because I understood it completely wrong. Why
    on earth would you want to write your own logging layer and duplicate
    commons-logging?? You would then have to provide implementations for log4j
    AND jdk-logging, essentially just duplicating a lot of work. That's a
    serious piece of work for no apparent benefit. Also it's damn tricky
    because of classloader issues, it took both commons-logging and log4j a
    long time to get all that right.
    It would IMHO be much easier to just have a CayenneLogLevel class and use
    that in the two or three classes that require it (QueryLogger etc.)

    -h