Re: CVS notifications are down

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Mon Jun 13 2005 - 00:02:22 EDT

    Kevin,

    BTW, notifications are working again ... looks like their machine ran
    out of space.

    > Is there a pressing need to use the SF CVS servers? I understand it's
    > convenient, but I think the overhead of running a local SCM would be
    > rather low.

    I agree (if by "local" you mean one on objectstyle.org server). The
    biggest reason why we still stay with SourceForge is not just
    convenience (so far there has been lots of INconvenience :-)). It is
    that I am the only admin of the objectstyle.org server.

    Our users should have some insurance in case I get hit by a beer
    truck and the ISP discontinues our service as a result. Having a
    repository on a public site provides that type of insurance. Now of
    course we are not married to SourceForge. I think java.net provides
    Subversion hosting and I am open to such migration.

    Now regarding Subversion - I had a very positive experience with it
    when I used it on a customer project a year ago. However back then I
    found Subversion Eclipse plugin somewhat lacking, so I just used
    command line. For a command line user Subversion provided lost of
    nice improvements over CVS (like adding directories in a single
    command)... As my current Eclipse/CVS setup hides a number of CVS
    shortcomings behind the UI, I had little incentive to investigate
    Subversion for use with Cayenne. But like I said - I am open to it.

    Andrus