Re: CVS notifications are down

From: Cris Daniluk (cris.danilu..mail.com)
Date: Mon Jun 13 2005 - 07:07:51 EDT

    > Our users should have some insurance in case I get hit by a beer
    > truck and the ISP discontinues our service as a result. Having a
    > repository on a public site provides that type of insurance. Now of
    > course we are not married to SourceForge. I think java.net provides
    > Subversion hosting and I am open to such migration.

    You could also allow for others to assist on the server so that
    somebody could do a panic dump if you do get hit by a beer truck,
    though I think Cayenne is in deeper trouble if you do, so please don't
    :)

    I for one would be happy to pitch in to any admin effort.

    > Now regarding Subversion - I had a very positive experience with it
    > when I used it on a customer project a year ago. However back then I

    The issue really is conversion. I just converted a comparably sized
    code-base last month and while SVN provides great tools, there's no
    great way to move 1000+ tags, dozens of branches, several projects,
    etc - particularly if you've ever hacked around in your ,v files to
    work around CVS limitations. Also, tags/branches are unified across
    the repository in SVN which can create conflicts, etc. Somebody would
    have to dedicate a solid day to performing a worthwhile conversion.
    Maybe worth it, but...

    > found Subversion Eclipse plugin somewhat lacking, so I just used
    > command line.

    It isn't much better now... very buggy, but usable. I frequently dump
    out to the command line to execute commands that Subclipse "thought it
    made" but did not, most often when moving files through Eclipse
    refactorings.