Re: Linking two unregistered CayenneDataObjects

From: Gili (cowwo..bs.darktech.org)
Date: Fri Sep 09 2005 - 02:40:02 EDT

    Andrus Adamchik wrote:

    > On Sep 9, 2005, at 12:28 AM, Gili wrote:
    >
    >> One thing I think the current Cayenne design does not provide
    >> (nor the new one you are proposing) is the ability to control the
    >> relationship queries. In your "List Property" example in the Wiki
    >> page, how would I specify the query settings getEmployees() should use?
    >

    > Manually set a List implementation that does what you want ?

            I was looking for this kind of functionality out-of-the-box in Cayenne.
    I know we already use ToManyList under the hood. Would it be possible to
    expose some Cayenne-specific interface to end-users which any
    relationship List is guaranteed to implement which will allow setting
    the query settings I mentioned? These are meant to be "hints" to Cayenne
    as to what settings the user thinks are reasonable but it should be free
    to ignore them when necessary. I guess I am asking you if this sounds
    like a good idea to you and whether you think it would be ok to add this
    to Cayenne (I'd put in the initial proof-of-concept work).

            It would work something like this... relationships would return type
    QueryResult (just a name I made up) instead of List, where QueryResult
    is an interface that extends List. Users would then be able to invoke:

    // normal operations
    List childrenThemes = theme.getChildren()

    // or, alternatively...
    QueryResult childrenThemes = theme.getChildren();
    childrenThemes.setPageSize(10);
    childrenThemes.setFetchLimit(50);

    Gili

    --