Mixing JDK 1.4 and 1.5 in development

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Tue Oct 25 2005 - 00:44:25 EDT

    If you are on cayenne-cvs, you've seen lots of recent notification
    emails with comments about JDK 1.5 extensions. I checked in a new
    contrib/jdk-ext/cayenne-java-1.5 folder that currently has support
    for Enum ExtendedType.

    "contrib/jdk-ext/cayenne-java-1.5" is essentially a standalone
    Eclipse project, thus allowing me to set Eclipse compiler compliance
    level to 1.4 for Cayenne and to 1.5 for the extension. That's pretty
    messy though...

    I was wondering if anyone have ideas on how to improve it and still
    ensure the right source and binary compliance levels? The easiest way
    is to force the whole Eclipse project to be 1.5, while perform split
    compile of different folders with Ant. This would work, but will
    generate literally thousands of 1.5 warnings for the 1.4 code...
    Maybe we should move the root of the main Eclipse project from
    "cayenne" to a subdirectory, so that multiple projects could co-exist
    in the same root directory?

    Andrus