Cayenne JPA + Maven

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Tue Feb 28 2006 - 04:44:22 EST

    I just checked in the pom that Bill and switched the JPA project to
    maven (so now you'll need maven eclipse plugin and M2 installed to
    build from command line). Also I made one improvement - I deployed a
    public M2 repository on ObjectStyle:

    http://objectstyle.org/maven2/

    That always contains up-to-date Cayenne build from CVS (I have a cron
    job running 4 times a day, updating it).

    Question: anyone knows how to make Maven automatically detect that a
    remote signature changes for the same jar version already cached in
    local repo? Or am I doing something wrong here and there is a better
    way to setup a dependency that constantly changes?

    My opinion of Maven after setting up a simple project:

    Automatic management of software dependencies is an extremely hard
    task, so some of the Maven complexity is justified. Also Maven's idea
    of a project model is brilliant (sort of an "object oriented" build).

    Still it is such a pain to work with. For all the benefits of a build
    model, there is a huge overhead in setting things up. For example on
    my customer project I had to setup a private repo and manually
    repackage a number of third party open source frameworks to ensure
    that my resulting war is less than 80MB in size (due to multiple
    versions of the same dependency)! This combined with poor
    documentation makes it really bad.

    Andrus