Re: Apache voted no on JPA 2.0 JSR

From: Aristedes Maniatis (ar..aniatis.org)
Date: Wed Aug 01 2007 - 06:40:01 EDT

    > The situation is not a pleasant one for the ASF, as taking a
    > principled stand has already drawn the criticism of being
    > "childish" [2] and it would hurt the existing projects (us included).

    But from the look of it, criticism mostly by people who don't
    understand the issues behind this decision. Really it appears Apache
    have no other choice - other than lawsuit, how else can Apache make a
    stance on an important issue like this?

    > It is all other companies that sorta support ASF, but are still
    > going along with JCP will be the winners either way.

    But this need not be a loss for Apache. Surely at this point it is
    enough to say "we don't agree with this, but since it is happening
    anyway, we want input on the expert group to ensure that the best
    possible technical decisions are made. Plus you've agreed to release
    this particular TCK in an open way, so that's a good step."

    Anyhow, I am sure the members of Apache will make the appropriate
    decisions for the benefit of us all. But it would be a shame for JPA2
    to look just like Hibernate or Toplink because they were the people
    on the EG making all the noise. I wonder if the Apple EOF people are
    lurking around there somewhere what with all the rumours of WO 5.4.

    I guess Sun have some specific things they want to achieve with JPA2
    since they are the lead on this. I wonder what.

    Ari Maniatis

    Aristedes Maniatis
    phone +61 2 9660 9700
    PGP fingerprint 08 57 20 4B 80 69 59 E2 A9 BF 2D 48 C2 20 0C C8