Backwards compatibility

From: Kevin Menard (kmenar..ervprise.com)
Date: Fri Aug 03 2007 - 13:46:07 EDT

    Sorry for the email storm. I thought my 3.0 upgrade had gone smoothly,
    but it turns out that there were hidden test failures due to someone
    changing some code on me.

    As I'm coming across some of these things that worked in 2.0.3 and fail
    in 3.0, I'm wondering to what degree things are supposed to be backward
    compatible. Take my run-in with passing null into
    ExpressionFactory#likeIgnoreCaseExp. In 3.0, this results in an NPE
    (that I planned to clean up), whereas in 2.0 it results in a properly
    constructed Expression. This expression ends up returning no objects
    for any query, but it works. Is it more wrong for the user to pass in
    null or for the framework to hide an error by degrading gracefully? I
    guess without knowing why it doesn't work in 3.0, I can't really say if
    it's a bug or not.

    Maybe the best thing to do is open up JIRA issues and let Andrus decide
    whether or not they're actually bugs?

    --
    Kevin Menard
    Servprise International, Inc.