Java 5

From: Kevin Menard (kmenar..ervprise.com)
Date: Fri Aug 03 2007 - 14:07:46 EDT

    Another one to ponder. It should be my last today ;-)

    According to [1], Java 5 was released nearly three years ago. At the
    time of its release, it was agreed that targeting 1.4 was still
    necessary. 1.4 had only been out for two years at that point. Java 6
    has been out for over half a year.

    How much longer is 1.4 going to be the target platform? I think we
    could clean a good deal of code up and make Cayenne more attractive if 5
    was made the baseline. I think 3.0 creates the opportunity to make that
    transition should we opt to do so.

    [1] http://java.sun.com/j2se/codenames.html

    --
    Kevin Menard