Re: CAY-1173 Expose QueryLogger invocations as events

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Wed Feb 11 2009 - 02:01:45 EST

    On Feb 11, 2009, at 8:50 AM, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:

    > Would Cayenne keep aggregate statistics (min/av/max/count) tracked
    > internally? That would make it easy for a user to monitor for slow
    > selects without writing a listener at all.

    The main goal is to to expose enough raw data via JMX. So all events
    will be stored in an MBean ("MBean" is a JMX term for managed object),
    but no statistical postprocessing is planned at this level. More
    advanced aggregation and reporting should be done via custom
    extensions (which we may or may not include in Cayenne). This is the
    most flexible pattern from my past JMX experience.

    > Is there a symmetry between Lifecycle events which track the
    > progress of an object entity, and these QueryLogger events which
    > track what happens to the database (although not db entities?)?

    Due to potential ORM complexities (things often don't map one to one
    between DB rows and objects), I'd say there will be a substantial
    mismatch.

    > Would QueryLogger listeners be something to be configured in the
    > modeler?

    No plans for that yet.

    Andrus