Re: Can Cayenne run on google AppEngine/Java?

From: Joseph Schmidt (joseph_schmidt7..ahoo.com)
Date: Fri Apr 10 2009 - 11:02:30 EDT

    > > Can cayenne run on the new Google AppEngine/Java?
    > >
    > > I'm asking this because there are quite some
    > restrictions to the applications that work, and many known
    > frameworks don't work (but the authors promised to make them
    > work - e.g. Tapestry):
    > > http://groups.google.com/group/google-appengine-java/web/will-it-play-in-app-engine
    > >
    > > e.g. Hibernate does not work (maybe this might be the
    > chance for Cayenne to get some more publicity if it could
    > work :) ?).
    >
    > A good question...
    >
    > IIRC Google apps engine does not support JDBC? So that will
    > be a showstopper, although the stack is abstracted well
    > enough so that it should be possible to re-implement a
    > non-JDBC DataNode. Otherwise Cayenne does not rely on
    > reflection for CayenneDataObjects, and should be possible to
    > port ... I think.
    For the other persistence frameworks, I think the "bridge" was built by DataNucleus (source seem to be included in the SDK).
    DataNucleus however didn't noticed Cayenne yet :(.

    > > maybe this might be the chance for Cayenne to get some
    > > more publicity if it could work :) ?).
    > This might also be a chance for new Cayenne volunteers to
    > get publicity ;)
    From my very short experience with Cayenne (totally newbie), I start to believe that Cayenne's biggest problem is it's "visibility".
    This is also a problem for the users that would like to use it: they have a hard time convincing project managers (not because of some missing standard or feature, but because of "critical mass" and visibility - many don't even know that it exists).

    I also believe Maven is a deal breaker (like a warning sign) for most new users to try explore the internals of Cayenne.

    thanks,
    Joseph.