Re: Can Cayenne run on google AppEngine/Java?

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Fri Apr 10 2009 - 11:12:33 EDT

    On Apr 10, 2009, at 6:02 PM, Joseph Schmidt wrote:

    > From my very short experience with Cayenne (totally newbie), I start
    > to believe that Cayenne's biggest problem is it's "visibility".
    > This is also a problem for the users that would like to use it: they
    > have a hard time convincing project managers (not because of some
    > missing standard or feature, but because of "critical mass" and
    > visibility - many don't even know that it exists).

    Agreed.

    > I also believe Maven is a deal breaker (like a warning sign) for
    > most new users to try explore the internals of Cayenne.

    I don't agree. Maven is very ubiquitous these days. Besides there is a
    purely technical issue. For all its undeniable flaws Maven scales in
    terms of the # of projects. Ant doesn't. Over the years I've started a
    number of projects with Ant, that had to be migrated to Maven later
    on, simply because Ant could no longer support the expanding build
    scope. So people who want to try poking with Cayenne internals will
    have to at least learn to follow the instructions:

    http://cayenne.apache.org/developer-guide.html

    It is not that hard, really.

    Andrus