Re: Moving SmartNamingStrategy out of modeler

From: Andrey Razumovsky (razumovsky.andre..mail.com)
Date: Thu Apr 16 2009 - 01:24:35 EDT

    Well, I see the problem. As it was discussed in past, we moved
    SmartNamingStrategy to modeler to get rid of extra dependency on Cayenne
    core.

    > - Add a dependency on the modeler from the plugin. Not terrible for maven,
    > a little more so for ant.

    Likely not the best way, because modeler is heavy and many unwanted
    dependencies will be added.

    > - Add a soft dependency, whereby you only need that Jar on the classpath if
    > you're using that naming strategy. We've done this for other classes in
    > the
    > past. It works, but can be a pain to maintain.

    This way anyone will first need to add jar in classpath to use the strategy.
    This is really a pain!

    > - Move naming strategies into their own module. For maven the plugins and
    > modeler would have a dependency on this new module. For ant, you'd need
    > the
    > new JAR on the classpath.

    I think this is a better way. Only that creates a new module that can make
    our maven structure more complex and unreadable.

    > - Find an alternative to the inflector lib.

    You mean to rewrite it from clean sheet? Inflector library is very small and
    event if we find an alternative, that will be a dependency either (?)

    It's also OK for me if we move the strategy to Cayenne core. Then we'll need
    compile dependency in core and "inclusive" - in modeler.

    So I suggest we either move it to core or create a separate module. But, if
    latter, I'm leaving the country today and won't be able to accomplish that
    in nearest two weeks.

    Thanks,
    Andrey