Re: documentation

From: Kevin Menard (nirvdru..mail.com)
Date: Tue Jul 07 2009 - 09:16:07 EDT

    I'm -0. If they were gone, I'd get by. But, I've had a habit of
    copying the doc HTML to a local-to-me Web server so I could read off
    that. All the docs for the various projects at the versions I need
    are right there, so I don't have to hunt them down on the Internet.
    But, I'm less trustful than many.

    --
    Kevin

    On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 8:11 PM, Aristedes Maniatis<ar..sh.com.au> wrote: > The Cayenne project has long had bundled documentation within the release > itself. A maven script pulls the docs from Confluence and bundles them up. > I've long had a script which 95% works to do this from the final website > docs (so they look prettier), but I've never finished that last 5% which is > a bit fiddly and ties into bits of maven I don't understand. > > Given that there are likely to be changes to the way our website is built > which will invalidate the existing maven script and mine, I'd like to ask > whether we could save ourselves a whole lot of work and not bundle any docs > at all with the distribution. > > Advantages of removing docs from distribution > * smaller distribution > * less work to rework scripts and for the ongoing task of committing docs to > svn > * documentation is not frozen in time and fixed for errors or improved > clarity (for example users of 3.0M5 aren't seeing the new cache docs Andrus > wrote) > * nicer to look at > * ties in better with external resources (Jira, links to other sites, etc) > > Advantages of keeping in distribution > * snapshot of documentation frozen in time as at that particular release > (which is a problem if we rewrite docs for new features and don't keep > historic doc pages) > * problem for people at 30,000 feet wanting to read docs (that and somewhere > in the Sahara desert where there is no internet access) > > > Many projects don't bundle all the docs with the download. Could we create a > set of a dozen introductory pages which point you to the > javadocs/website/etc? > > I'm +1 on the idea of removing them before 3.0 final. > > > Ari Maniatis > > > > --------------------------> > ish > http://www.ish.com.au > Level 1, 30 Wilson Street Newtown 2042 Australia > phone +61 2 9550 5001   fax +61 2 9550 4001 > GPG fingerprint CBFB 84B4 738D 4E87 5E5C  5EFA EF6A 7D2E 3E49 102A > > >