Re: IOC container

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Sun Nov 15 2009 - 16:57:54 EST

    Just for kicks wrote a simple DI container for Cayenne. I checked it
    in partially to sanbdox folder until the ASF SVN repo went down (http://monitoring.apache.org/
    ), so I'll commit the rest on Monday, or whenever SVN becomes available.

    This no-frills DI container took me only a couple of hours to write
    (it borrows some Guice API, but implementation is all mine). It supports

    * annotation-based field dependency injection
    * binding interfaces to implementation classes via fluent API
    * binding interfaces to "provider" (same as "factory") classes
    * merging multiple DI "modules".

    The whole thing is only 14K after compilation (so it beats all full
    featured DI containers in size). Of course that's because it doesn't
    have all the fancy stuff (of which we'll add at least a few more
    things) such as constructor injection, dependency cycle resolving,
    dynamic interface proxies, bound object lifecycle, integration with
    Spring, etc. Since we are not planning a general purpose container, we
    might survive without most of those.

    Here is how the current Configuration class might look like when it is
    based on DI:

    public class Configuration {

            private Injector injector;

            public Configuration() {
                    this(new CayenneModule());
            }

            public Configuration(Module... modules) {
                    this.injector = DIBootstrap.createInjector(modules);
            }

            public DataChannel getDataChannel() {
                    return injector.getInstance(DataChannel.class);
            }

            public ObjectContext getNewContext() {
                    return injector.getInstance(ObjectContext.class);
            }

            // we may create getters for other "services" if we need to
    }

    And the actual configuration class (aka "module") used above:

    public class CayenneModule implements Module {

            public void configure(Binder binder) {
                    binder.bind(EventManager.class).to(EventManagerImpl.class);
                    binder.bind(DataChannel.class).to(DataDomain.class);
                    binder.bind(QueryCache.class).toProvider(LRUCacheFactory.class);
                    binder.bind(QueryLogger.class).toProvider(FancyLogger.class);
                    // an so on...
            }
    }

    "CayenneModule" is what users can override (e.g. simply subclass),
    providing alternative implementations for some services.

    The next step in this prototype would be an attempt to define the
    current Cayenne stack in terms of DI.

    Andrus