Re: Plans for the future (aka 3.1 roadmap)

From: Evgeny Ryabitskiy (evgeny.ryabitski..mail.com)
Date: Tue Nov 17 2009 - 16:40:09 EST

    About Modeler and Cayenne xml configuration:
    Maybe we can add some documentation about Cayenne xml configuration format.
    To tell people how xml should look like.
    I'm prefer to work with xml (I have to... when I need to do merge).
    Usually I use modeler only to look what it's generating, to have example :)

    About Cayenne Multiple DataDomains:
     I tried to use several Caynne DataDomains at same time. So when I use
    2 DataDomains, I use 2 DataContexts. First for Oracle and second for
    MS SQL. There was a problem with binding to thread DataContext (it can
    be only one). I solved it with own ThreadLocal. Second problem was
    with Transaction (Except thread binding): Some times JBC Driver for
    Node is resolved from Transaction. It was really crazy for me when my
    DataDomain configured on Oracle tried to use JTDS Driver and Microsoft
    templates for Oracle DB. It was like a magik! :) I spend whole evening
    to find what is happening.

    About Cayenne Multiple file configuration:
    Cayenne is oriented on only one cayenne.xml. It's painful when you
    have several independent modules with own DataMap sets.
    I spent enough time to find solution for this. Like experience with
    Multiple DataDomains.
    It will be nice to have embedded solution for such issues.

    About Cayenne and Oracle Timestamp:
    Result of query from column of timestamp type was mapped to oracle.sql.TIMESTAMP
    I should tell you that we are trying to build cross-rdbms application
    via cayenne.
    So we didn't expect any non-jdbc types in results.

    About Cayenne Queries:
    Just a fillings... Sometimes use of query API is really painful...
    I have some ideas for enchantments in mind... When I finish to
    formulate them, I publish them.

     Evgeny.

    P.S. Thx for electing me as a contributor :)