Re: Plans for the future (aka 3.1 roadmap)

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Thu Nov 19 2009 - 07:56:20 EST

    No question, this can be useful. Where this gets in the way is with
    our elusive goal of providing persistence for POJOs without a
    framework-mandated superclass.

    The good news is that ClassDescriptor design can accommodate any type
    of objects (as long as you can force it to use ObjectContext
    callbacks). So while it is beneficial to eliminate object structural
    gap between ROP and "normal" Cayenne, it looks like support of
    separate hierarchies of POJOs (preferably without framework
    superclass), and generic objects is in our future (unless we totally
    give up on the POJO idea and keep extending CayenneDataObject
    everywhere).

    Now, if we do support both types of objects across the entire stack,
    it will be a user's choice what to inherit from (and as a result
    either use read/writeProperty methods or not).

    Andrus