Re: reverse engineering a postgresql database: no relationships detected?

From: Tomi NA (hefes..mail.com)
Date: Sat Apr 29 2006 - 12:48:12 EDT

    On 4/9/06, Cris Daniluk <cris.danilu..mail.com> wrote:
    > I think the fix was in before M12 came out, but you should try the beta just
    > to make sure, for obvious reasons. If you are still having trouble, I'm
    > going to need you to create a DataMap that reproduces the problem, as the
    > test cases that I was working with failed before the patch and pass after.

    This is probably a long forgotten topic, but I'd rather close it than let it be.

    I've finaly gotten a bit of time to look into it and concluded the following:
    - the relationships weren't reengineered correctly because I was using
    the 8.0 driver with a 8.1 database
    - I was using the wrong driver because the classpath properties can't
    be saved properly (I change them and during runtime they're fine, but
    after I rerun the modeler, they're back to the old, incorrect
    properties).
    - there's still some work to be done on "inteligent" schema reengineering.

    So, the first two points are a confirmation that there are no loose
    ends concerning the postgresql adapter.
    The last point, however, is the one I want to focus on now.

    Simple use case: in an existing database (with a reengineered model)
    add a new table with a simple primary key and add a foreign key to an
    existing table referencing the new table primary key.
    Reengineer the database, override all objects (this is was done on a
    testing database) and the db-entities are perfect, but you get stuck
    with all the previously existing relations between object entities
    doubled - the old relationships remain but are invalidated by the new
    ones. Why is that?

    Tomislav