Re: Build/Run Configuration Woes

From: ulrich köster (ulric..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Fri Aug 13 2004 - 14:04:05 EDT

    WOLips version?

    Ulrich

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Shelli D. Orton" <shelli.orto..mode.com>
    To: <woproject-de..bjectstyle.org>
    Sent: Friday, August 13, 2004 7:42 PM
    Subject: Build/Run Configuration Woes

    > I'm trying to understand how best to set up my builds so that things run
    > smoothly. Which build style should I use? Incremental or Ant? What are
    > the pros/cons of each?
    >
    > Here's what I have:
    >
    > FrameworkA
    > FrameworkB - which uses FrameworkA
    > Application1 - which uses FrameworkA and FrameworkB
    >
    > Building Woes:
    > -------------
    >
    > If I set a framework project's build style to Incremental", the project
    > builds in FrameworkA/build/FrameworkA.framework. If I set its build style
    > to "Use Ant (build.xml)", the project builds to
    > FrameworkA/FrameworkA.framework and to
    > Apple/Local/Library/Framworks/FrameworkA.framework. Why do they build to
    > two different places?
    >
    > Since the Incremental build doesn't build to the
    > Apple/Local/Library/Framworks directory, I have to manually add the path
    > the frameworks in an application's PB.project FRAMEWORKSEARCH path so that
    > the components are available in the application project on my machine.
    Does
    > this make sense? It seems to me that I shouldn't have to do this.
    >
    > And this doesn't always work. We are trying to set up a new machine and
    > even if I add the path to FRAMEWORKSEARCH, the applications on that
    machine
    > can't find the framework project. As far as I can determine the projects
    > are set up the same and the source is straight out of CVS on both
    machines.
    > Does anyone know why adding the build paths works on one machine and not
    > another? This is very frustrating. I don't mind having to add the
    > FRAMEWORKSEARCH paths to PB.project if that's what it takes, but once I
    have
    > it should work.
    >
    > Also, if I set the application build style to Incremental, the .woa is
    > created in Application1/build/Application1.woa and if its set to Ant, it
    > creates a Application1/Application1.woa.
    >
    > Running Woes:
    > ------------
    >
    > The only way I seem to be able to run a project is if I have used the
    > incremental build on all of the projects. If I haven't used incremental
    > build, when running the application, projects are not able to be found and
    > then I get null pointer and class cast exceptions (see below for example).
    > I've tried changing the working directory from the default working
    directory
    > to the Application1/Application1.woa to see if that makes any difference,
    it
    > doesn't.
    >
    > If anyone has some advice or can explain to me how this puzzle of Eclipse
    > and WOLips fits together, you would have my undying gratitude.
    >
    > Shelli

    > Error Example
    >
    > [2004-08-13 11:11:32 MDT] <main> *** The application has found the
    following
    > opened, development-mode ProjectBuilderWO projects:
    > (<com.webobjects.appserver._private.WOProjectBundle:
    > projectName='Application1';

    bundlePath='C:\devel\WebObjects\Applications\Application1\Application1.woa';
    > projectPath='C:\devel\WebObjects\Applications\Application1'>)
    > [2004-08-13 11:11:32 MDT] <main> <WOProjectBundle>: Warning - Unable to
    find
    > project at path C:/devel/WebObjects/Frameworks/FrameworkB\PB.project -
    > Ignoring project.
    > [2004-08-13 11:11:32 MDT] <main> java.lang.NullPointerException
    > at

    com.webobjects._ideservices._IDEProjectPB.bundlePath(_IDEProjectPB.java:337)
    > at com.webobjects._ideservices._WOProject.bundlePath(_WOProject.java:585)
    > at

    com.webobjects.appserver._private.WOProjectBundle._initBundlePath(WOProjectB
    > undle.java:65)
    > at

    com.webobjects.appserver._private.WODeployedBundle.<init>(WODeployedBundle.j
    > ava:44)
    > at

    com.webobjects.appserver._private.WOProjectBundle.<init>(WOProjectBundle.jav
    > a:25)
    > at

    com.webobjects.appserver._private.WODeployedBundle.bundleWithPath(WODeployed
    > Bundle.java:439)
    > at

    com.webobjects.appserver._private.WOProjectBundle._projectsInDirectory(WOPro
    > jectBundle.java:202)
    > at

    com.webobjects.appserver._private.WOProjectBundle._WOAllProjects(WOProjectBu
    > ndle.java:349)
    > at

    com.webobjects.appserver._private.WOProjectBundle.projectBundleForProject(WO
    > ProjectBundle.java:384)
    > at

    com.webobjects.appserver._private.WODeployedBundle.projectBundle(WODeployedB
    > undle.java:421)
    > at

    com.webobjects.appserver.WOResourceManager._initAppBundle(WOResourceManager.
    > java:85)
    > at

    com.webobjects.appserver.WOResourceManager.<init>(WOResourceManager.java:33)
    > at

    com.webobjects.appserver.WOApplication.createResourceManager(WOApplication.j