Re: Slurpage

From: Mike Schrag (mschra..dimension.com)
Date: Thu Nov 15 2007 - 17:08:37 EST

    > I'd like the ability to generate code for individual attributes and
    > relationships without having to regenerate the whole class file.
    >
    > In the context menu for a .java file, under source, you have options
    > to override, implement and generate all sorts of things. I'd like to
    > be able to genarate EO code from there - and of course from within
    > the entity modeler.
    >
    > Don't feel I need an EOGenerator replacement at all.
    You can log a request for this, but at the moment, EOGenerator is the
    way code generation will work for the foreseeable future. It's only
    regenerating "read only" classes, so this really should not be a
    problem, and in fact more recent builds of the velocity generator only
    rewrite _Files whose MD5 sums are different than what's already on
    disk. The richness you can get out of code generation with
    EOGenerator is just so much greater than what you would be able to do
    with code generation in the editor, not to mention that you really
    want standardized code generation across all of your entities, which
    means you would be going into the editor and generating code for each
    every time. One of the nice features of the generation gap pattern is
    that you just don't have to think about the problem of /** GENERATED
    CODE HERE DON'T EDIT **/ blocks like in many of the other styles of
    generation.

    ms