Re: Entity Modeler and embedded derby

From: Lachlan Deck (lachlan.dec..mail.com)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2008 - 16:38:03 EST

    On 29/02/2008, at 12:08 AM, Mike Schrag wrote:

    >> Should I just give up trying to use Derby and use FrontBase?
    > If your question is "do i want things to be easy and use a database
    > that lots of webobjects user use" then yes. If your question is
    > "how can i find a conceptually confusing database to run" then you
    > should stick with embedded derby running inside of an eclipse
    > plugin classloader. I haven't used Derby since it was Cloudscape,
    > and I have no idea what the ramifications are of attempting to use
    > embedded derby from inside of Entity Modeler. Maybe it just works
    > fine, but it blows my mind to think about it. I woudl expect
    > networked derby to be no different than any other database, though.

    We use Derby embedded, by default anyway, in our Cayenne desktop-
    based application (http://ish.com.au/oncourse). It works well. It
    doesn't really make any perceivable difference so far as the adaptor
    layer is concerned. Just a differing connection dictionary really.

    So it /should/ be straight forward though I haven't tried with WO.
    But I could try this out /soon-ish/ (i.e., after I've upgraded to
    leopard which I'm planning to do over the next week, barring anything
    unforeseen).

    >> Perhaps I should just give up using WebObjects.
    > Sheesh.

    Chin up. Moving on...

    >> -- How is it done?
    >> Still don't know.
    > I have no idea.

    I'd be guessing that you specify the use of Derby as attached
    screenshot shows. You might have to fiddle with the connection
    dictionary as required -- but you mentioned that you're quite
    familiar with derby.

    >> -- I am trying to use Entity Modeler in the
    >> SophisticatedDatabaseExample.
    >> Quit trying to use the SophisticatedDatabaseExample.
    >> (If it had been my first experience with WebObjects, the MacBook Pro
    >> would have flown out the window. I am not joking.)
    > I have no idea what SophisticatedDatabaseExample is, but it seems
    > to me that making a single entity with a PK and nothing else would
    > be the place to start,

    Where's this example?

    >> -- Where should derby.jar be?
    >> I am refering to the Entity Modeler's classpath.
    >> (derby.jar contains org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver)
    > JDBC jars are generally in /Library/Java/Extensions. I ASSUME
    > derby is no different here.

    That ought to get you going... but you can also see if it works being
    in your project itself and added to the project build path.

    >> -- Where do I set the derby.system.home property?
    >> I need to feed -Dderby.system.home=<location of derby.log>
    >> to the vm running Derby, which is the vm running
    >> Entity Modeler, or make some pathological jdbc url starting
    >> from Entity Modeler's current directory at the time Derby
    >> reads the property.
    > I have no idea.

    >> I. Can I use Derby 10.3.2.1?
    > I have no idea.

    Should be no problem.

    >> II. Can I use the Eclipse Derby plugin with WOLips?
    > I have no idea.

    Quite possibly.

    >> III. How do I shutdown embedded Derby and (?)
    >> (jdbc:derby:<somedb>;shutdown=true)
    >> how do I restart embedded Derby?
    >> A. using Entity Modeler
    > I have no idea.

    Hmm.

    >> I know how to use Derby.
    >> I don't know how to use it with WebObjects, EOF, and
    >> WOLips.

    with regards,

    --

    Lachlan Deck