Re: Problem with Entity Modeler and prototypes when switching DB

From: Archibal Singleton (concierg..xidia.com)
Date: Sat Mar 08 2008 - 12:31:09 EST

    On 08 Mar 2008, at 13:53, Mike Schrag wrote:

    >> Also making different DB config active correctly switch the
    >> external type but only for the attributes where the external type
    >> was manually erased. For attribute that had a "manually" set
    >> external type, that type stick
    >>
    >> It seems to me, that specifying a prototype for a field should
    >> resets it external type (and whatever else might be DB specific)
    > I don't agree here .. This is not a bug, rather it's explicitly
    > written to behave like this. It is perfectly valid to override
    > prototype settings in your attributes. Automatically removing any
    > of your custom settings and replacing them with prototype settings
    > could potentially really break things if you INTENTIONALLY were
    > overriding settings. Maybe we could provide a menu item to "replace
    > with prototype defaults" or something, but at the moment this is
    > behaving as expected.

    Thanks for the clarification.

    I totally see your

    OTOH, my reasoning is that, *I* (so it's not as if EM is doing
    something I didn't requested) did select the prototype and thus I
    expected it to switch my attribute to using the prototype even if that
    means resetting values. In fact I actually expected it to reset the
    attribute so that it exactly matched the prototype. But in this case
    it did exactly *nothing* (?) which is totally misleading and puzzling.

    When you speak about "overriding" settings I would expect that this is
    again something *I* would do *after* specifying the prototype.

    Also, specifically for the external type, I'm wondering what would the
    benefit of using a prototype with an external type different from the
    one defined in the prototype? For the other settings the it's obvious
    that preserving their value may prove useful.

    >> Unable to find type information for external type 'decimal' in
    >> attribute 'price' of entity 'Entree'. Check spelling and
    >> capitalization.
    >>
    >> Is currencyAmount supposed not to work with OB?
    > You would need to lookup what the proper external type for this type
    > should be in OB and submit a Wonder bug. I suspect it may need to
    > be capitalized, though.

    Will do that.

    Thanks

    = tmk =