Re: how SHOULD it look

From: Mike Schrag (mschra..dimension.com)
Date: Wed Jun 18 2008 - 10:23:45 EDT

    >> I've been experimenting some with Eclipse's emulated tabs on OS
    >> X ... This is the tabs with an implementation of the Safari tab
    >> style:
    >
    > Not nice :(
    >
    > a) the tabs in safari are for documents, not "info panels" which is
    > what the tabs in the lower part are.
    > b) the icons are important info and the text is very hard to read
    Well, I agree, or I'd commit it :) Well, I agree with "a". I'm still
    not convinced the icons are important at all in these views ... I
    don't think OS X uses icons on tabs in any app I've ever seen.
    Granted Eclipse has way more tabs than most apps, but, to me, it just
    means that you end up with 1000 icons on the screen and they all just
    turn into visual mush. If it just said the labels, would it affect
    access time at all?

    OS X really has NO standard for this type of control:

    Current Eclipse (totally looks like Windows):

    iChat_Image_2310319135_.jpeg

    Safari/Terminal (only looks right hanging off the unified title bar):

    Segmented Control (the "standard" tabs -- no close, no icon):

    iChat_Image_3335195015_.jpeg

    Palette tabs (no label, no close):

    iChat_Image_3215055688_.jpeg

    New Leopard toolbar/tabs (these aren't even really tabs, but they're
    used like tabs). No close, really big, though this style + small side
    icon/close might be sort of interesting:

    Modo goes the "pro app" sort of style (with their own custom flair).
    I'm thinking Eclipse maybe should be in the pro-app look, also (given
    that it ... is a pro app). Modo doesn't show a close, but they let
    you drag off.

    Motion:

    Basically we need a tab with a label, icon, close, small vertical
    space, that can fit inside a view naturally and look like it fits into
    OS X. If anyone has seen such a beast in any OS X apps, let me know.