best practices - .settings and version control

From: TW (list..hetimmy.com)
Date: Mon Feb 02 2009 - 22:03:46 EST

    All:

    When working with Eclipse/WOLips and version control what is
    considered best practice for the proj-dir/.settings/* files? I've had
    my .settings folder under version control and it seems like it has
    been problematic for me. I'm just learning about patches in git and it
    seems like frequent changes to org.eclipse.core.resources.prefs really
    get in the way of creating useful patches.

    I realize most don't use git but I guess I'm wondering how important
    it is to have files such as .settings/org.eclipse.core.resources.prefs
    under version control.

    Tim
    UCLA GSE&IS