Re: Updating dependent libs

From: Holger Hoffstätte (holge..izards.de)
Date: Sat May 07 2005 - 15:32:17 EDT

    Andrus Adamchik wrote:
    > All of this sounds good to me. Just for the record commons-logging and
    > log4j are always giving headache - too much J2EE deployment
    > infrastructure depends on it. Of course cayenne-nodeps.jar should be
    > fine with any version.

    Goody, will start right away.

    > I guess we should remove Log4J dependencies from public Cayenne API and
    > at least eliminate Log4J bundling and keep commons logging under the
    > hood. Of course with deprecation and all that...

    I recently converted a lot of my own code to use clogging instead of log4j
     and it was really easy, it's mostly search&replace (or sed ;) & then
    selecting "Organize Imports" on the whole package. The only things that
    will probably not be possible to migrate are the classes that affect
    logging levels - for example clogging does not allow you to set a level
    on a Logger like some of the Cayenne classes do (if I remember correctly).
    In any case there's no danger in migrating because as long as long4j is on
    the classpath there's no change in behaviour.

    -h