Re: comons-logging (was Re: Updating dependent libs)

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Fri May 13 2005 - 09:01:21 EDT

    > Andrus Adamchik wrote:
    >>>I guess we should remove Log4J dependencies from public Cayenne API
    >>> and at least eliminate Log4J bundling and keep commons logging under
    >>> the hood. Of course with deprecation and all that...
    >
    > It really seems to be mostly search & replace - I can start with that,
    > but the "public API" bit is turning out to be a problem. Mostly any
    > classes that allow access to the logging level (log4j.Level) also expose
    > it in one way or another and commons-loging has (rightly so) no
    > replacement. Not sure what to do about these cases (like QueryLogger,
    > RuntimeLoadDelegate)
    > but I can start with the easy ones if nobody objects.
    >
    > -h

    Well, I'd actually like to understand what you have in mind first. I agree
    with you that commons-logging is not a (good) solution. So we need to
    design one.

    Maybe our own "commons logging" interface that has its own levels that can
    be referenced throughout Cayenne API. And then include a default Log4J
    implementation mapping these levels to Log4J?

    Andrus