Re: Cayenne JPA + Maven

From: Bill Dudney (bdudne..pache.org)
Date: Tue Feb 28 2006 - 10:31:01 EST

    Hi Ahmed,

    No problem with impolite style. Better to be impolite than to allow
    countless people pain :-)

    Maven is one of those things that people either love or hate. From my
    experience thus far its turned into love. When I first started I
    hated it. Now that I'm getting comfortable with maven I've started to
    really like what maven does for you and I start to see the benefits
    over ant. That said its really not good to try to do something so
    radical during a release cycle.

    My main reasons for embracing maven on my personal projects is that
    its easier for my stuff to integrate with other m2 projects. The most
    important of these for me is Geronimo. So if my stuff were not built
    with m2 I'd have to manually create a directory structure like this;

    http://ibiblio.org/maven2/commons-logging/

    There are md5 and sh1 files for each file in each directory, all have
    to be created. The directory structure is very important as the
    dependency mechanism requires this structure to work properly. The
    pom files created in there are also crucial to the transitive
    dependency mechanism.

    It is possible to create the m2 directory structure and files via ant
    but it is unlikely that these repositories will be maintained in the
    long haul if the project is not built with maven. With maven its
    simply mvn deploy and your whole 'product' is out in the wild for
    others to use.

    I'd like to see cayenne-jpa accepted and used by OpenEJB. Cayenne-jpa
    does not have to use m2 to make that happen but if we have an m2 repo
    out there it makes it easy for OpenEJB to adopt. Easy is good...

    I realize that its a pain in the neck to change build systems but I
    do find maven's benefits out weigh the cost once you are over the
    learning curve. I find it to be about the same as the move from make
    to ant...

    Thoughts?

    TTFN,

    Bill Dudney