Re: Java 5

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Mon Aug 06 2007 - 12:22:22 EDT

    I think there are ways to fully port 1.5 stuff to 1.4 (yes - except
    for bytecode format). There is an open source project somewhere that
    does back-compiling. But I'd rather we avoid more temporary hacks.
    There is nothing that is pressing us to switch, so we can wait and
    pick the right time. I'd say the main motivation for the switch is
    convenience for us and our 1.5 users. Everything else (such as new
    API's) is a bonus, but not a requirement.

    This is why I think Kevin's idea of a user list poll is great - we'll
    have a good picture of whether the time for the switch has come.

    Andrus