Re: [DISCUSSION] Java 5 and 3.0 schedule

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Wed Aug 15 2007 - 11:17:22 EDT

    On Aug 15, 2007, at 2:20 AM, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:

    > If we do expect people to use it in production, why not release it
    > as 2.5 or 3.0? Sure JPA isn't complete, but lifecycle events and
    > lots of other things are. I'm using it in production for that
    > reason, but we can't expect everyone to do that for what sounds
    > like an alpha release.

    I see your point here, and I agree that it would be ideal if we could
    do it realistically. What's holding us from doing this is that the
    new feature development is not serial, but often parallel. I.e. we do
    "Y" before we finish "X", resulting in a bunch of loose ends that
    can't be considered production quality. In case of 3.0 some loose
    ends are:

    * embeddable support (half way there)
    * modeler support for lifecycle callbacks
    * documentation and tutorials for the partial EJBQL ("partial" is
    also a confusing part as we can't clearly tell the users what parts
    of the syntax should be avoided)
    * some other things I can't remember now.

    Switching to a serial development mode would place extra burden on
    developers (likely resulting in early branching). I don't know -
    maybe we should return to this discussion once we start TCK testing
    (I haven't yet) and see where we are in terms of completeness.

    > There is no rush to release, but is the goal: full JPA compliance?

    Yes, unless we hit the wall with TCK testing.

    > How will we know when we have arrived? (especially with the JCK
    > issues).

    We have access to JSR-220 TCK (I do at the moment; anybody else can
    also sign an NDA and ask Geir to give it to them).

    Andrus